At long last: Primetime could mark Bashaud Breeland's Packers debut

-- The Green Bay Packers' secondary could be even more well-rounded come Monday night.

The team is still awaiting the debut of cornerback Bashaud Breeland, who they signed late last month after placing veteran cornerback Davon House on injured reserve.

Breeland, who failed his physical with the Carolina Panthers shortly after agreeing to a hefty contract over the offseason, had been visiting multiple times before he and the Packers agreed to terms on a one-year worth the veteran minimum of $790,000; a number that pales in comparison to what he would've earned with the Panthers.

On top of having to learn a new defense in Green Bay, Breeland has also been battling a hamstring injury since the first week leading up to the Packers' week five meeting with the Detroit Lions.

In his limited action, however, Breeland has impressed and left coaches raving.

"We got an experienced guy that's made plays in the league over a long period of time," defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said on Friday. "His tape is impressive. We were very pleased that the circumstances played out and he fell to us."

If anything, the Packers are expecting Breeland to finally see the field against the San Francisco 49ers under primetime lights. His hamstring injury lingered, but he was a limited participant in practice throughout the course of this past week, leaving his game status as questionable.

"When he's been out there in full go, he's impressed," Pettine said. "Even the reps on the scout team, some of the young receivers didn't really know who he was. They just thought he was some other scout team corner. Next thing they know, they're getting beat down a little bit.

"The reps he's been out there, he's been impressive."

The only cornerback currently on the roster -- not including undrafted rookie Tony Brown -- that was with the team last year is second-round pick Kevin King. They essentially revamped the rest of the group.

The Packers emphasized the cornerback position over the offseason, drafting both Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson with their first two selections (No. 17, No. 45), as well as brought back veteran Tramon Williams, who previously spent nine seasons with the team.

Breeland spent the first four years of his career with the Washington Redskins, starting 58 of a possible 64 regular-season games. His 19 pass deflections ranked fifth in the league in 2017, only heightening his early-market interest from a handful of teams.

"I just want to get back to the player that I'm meant to be, that I've always been," Breeland told ESPN's Rob Demovsky following his signing with the team. "And just show them that I am that player they saw then and I will still be that player now."

Breeland would only help the Packers' secondary continue its rise to prominence under Pettine, who in his first year as coordinator, has engineered a complete turnaround through the first five weeks of the season.

The Packers currently sit fourth in the league in total yards allowed per game, second in pass yards allowed per game and are tied for 14th in points allowed per game.

__________________________

Zachary Jacobson is a staff writer/reporter for Cheesehead TV. He's the voice of The Leap on iTunes and can be heard on The Scoop KLGR 1490 AM every Saturday morning. He's also a contributor on the Pack-A-Day Podcast. He can be found on Twitter via @ZachAJacobson or contacted through email at [email protected].

Roadrunner23's picture

October 15, 2018 at 11:25 am

It sure can't hurt to have another veteran in that group.

Good luck Bree!

PackfanNY's picture

October 15, 2018 at 11:38 am

Experienced depth, can never have enough. I expect our secondary to get better and better as they get deeper into the season. A few turnovers would be a big boost.

TarynsEyes's picture

October 15, 2018 at 11:42 am

At Long Last....really...just for all of you who think everyone who puts on the Green and Gold is...well...

SpudRapids's picture

October 15, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Why mock the writers headline? Other than being a troll what's the point. They signed Breeland 3 weeks ago and fans are excited to see what he can do... the headline makes sense.

TarynsEyes's picture

October 15, 2018 at 12:15 pm

Signing a player that was released and than signed and released and signed and than writing..At Long Last...is an exclamatory opening equal to ..This is who we've been waiting for...the savior of sorts.
It would have been more professional to just say...Breeland will get his latest chance tonight....it's called perspective

RCPackerFan's picture

October 15, 2018 at 12:55 pm

Not really sure what your point is here.

Breeland was a 4 year starter for the Redskins. He was a free agent this year, and signed with the Panthers when he had an off field accident happen which then he got released and hasn't signed with anyone until the Packers signed him.

Breeland is a good player, and denying that is simply being narrow minded.

No one is claiming him to being the savior. But everyone is saying he could be a great pickup.
One of the best CB's in free agency, the fact that we were able to get him in September could make it a great move!

TarynsEyes's picture

October 15, 2018 at 01:14 pm

" Not really sure what your point is here."

Not sure why so many can't have a little levity...so serious all the time.
I made no comment to his play before becoming a Packer. Just a reference to how he is portrayed in the headline that can be taken in multiple context. Lighten up RC....by the way...nice how you didn't respond to how the links I gave you worked out...good..bad..reply would have been nice but leap when a comment in fun....song link.. and you type a response faster than Clark Kent. : )

RCPackerFan's picture

October 15, 2018 at 01:23 pm

Well the whole, signed/released/signed/released/signed part was confusing. I was just clarifying what happened. False information is a bad thing on here...
Not really sure what is wrong with the headline either.

I thought did respond on Friday? I haven't tried them yet. Since I'm in the local market I haven't had the need to try them yet. But I like having backup options.
I do appreciate you providing them though!

TarynsEyes's picture

October 15, 2018 at 01:28 pm

" Well the internet is faster then changing in phone booths. I mean you know how hard it is to find phone booths anymore. ;) "

AWESOME....LOL!!!

Try the link for live game anyway tonight..I have about 10 I use with no issues and be happy to post if needed.

RCPackerFan's picture

October 15, 2018 at 02:23 pm

I will have to try another game.

Tonight I will have the Packer game on my big tv while Streaming the Brewers game on another TV.

Skip greenBayless's picture

October 15, 2018 at 01:31 pm

Taryn, you remind me of this kid in this classic video. I know you are a woman but it still applies. Remember Taryn, conform or be cast out. I was you in 2016 the year of the great victory.

TarynsEyes's picture

October 15, 2018 at 01:52 pm

I don't believe in or ever feared cliques...in fact I have pity for them for they are afraid to embark on their own and need others for protection. The price for that is to high. My independence is much to valuable to relinquish and conform for entry to a biased membership.

Skip greenBayless's picture

October 15, 2018 at 02:26 pm

Good for you Taryn.

October 15, 2018 at 01:52 pm

Now I need to go dig out all my RUSH...

TarynsEyes's picture

October 15, 2018 at 02:31 pm

No need to ' RUSH ' ...we can all wait.

EdsLaces's picture

October 15, 2018 at 12:00 pm

I'd like our top 3 to be Jackson Alexander and Breeland to be honest. I'm not impressed by Kevin King (when he can make it to the field).

CheesyTex's picture

October 15, 2018 at 12:55 pm

Me too, but I haven't given up on King. If he could only stay healthy, we'd have a chance to see.

Also hope this will allow Tramon Williams to slide over to safety and shore the back end up a bit.

Guam's picture

October 15, 2018 at 04:32 pm

I like King when he is on the field, but he is proving to be fragile. Another TT pick in jeopardy.

Skip greenBayless's picture

October 15, 2018 at 12:04 pm

I think this will be a solid pick up as we can't rely on Kevin King to even finish a game at this point without getting injured or missing a few series. MN got back into that game when King went out and House replaced him. I have to believe Breeland is a major upgrade over House. A huge win for the Packers defense.

Pierre's picture

October 15, 2018 at 12:25 pm

I think it’s the Packer offense that needs to vastly improve if they are going to get deep in the playoffs this season. They need to show up tonight from the first quarter scoring TDs. It begins with Rodgers getting a vertical passing game going. Is he an elite QB still or is he going the way of Eli Manning?
No team really has a great defense and it’s going to be the best offense that wins this year. Just look at NE 43 KC 40 last night. There have been more games in which a team scored over 40 points this season than seen in a long time if at all.

CheesyTex's picture

October 15, 2018 at 01:10 pm

"There have been more games in which a team scored over 40 points this season than seen in a long time if at all."

Just as the NFL Rules Committee expected when it further handicapped the defense with this year's "no touch" rules -- just look at Brady's running TD last night; it would have been a sack in any other year but the D let him go to avoid a flag.

NFL wants more "excitement" and TV ratings and thinks points are the way to go. In my view, it's coming to be the NFFL -- National Flag Football League. Shoot, Brady will be playing at 50!

Sorry about my rant, Roger, but don't worry it won't affect your compensation package.

Lare's picture

October 15, 2018 at 02:39 pm

Also helped that the refs called zero penalties against the Patriots last night.

The refs are still determined to dictate the outcomes of games.

Tundraboy's picture

October 15, 2018 at 02:30 pm

Exactly. Even the Jets score 40 these days.

PatrickGB's picture

October 15, 2018 at 12:59 pm

What the heck. It sure can’t hurt. Breeland seems to be a better than average CB. But only time will tell. Now the defense needs a safety and another OLB. This year the defense has been revamped. TTs guys are being replaced. He did not draft well toward the end. But he was stuck reaching for players in the draft when capers screwed up. I am starting to get on the bandwagon for Pettine as HC.

RCPackerFan's picture

October 15, 2018 at 01:15 pm

I am looking forward to seeing Breeland play.

Being realistic if he does play I don't expect him to play a ton of snaps. I could see him being our Dime CB.

What my hope is that he can play. He gets some game action for the first time this year. He gets his bye week and then he comes back ready to go after the bye. Having Breeland at the very least as a 4th option is a really good option!

pacman's picture

October 15, 2018 at 01:49 pm

Not very hopeful that he will physically last that long. Packers seem to be getting exceptionally good at getting just over the hill and washed out free agents. Everyone (myself included) thought Graham/Rodgers would be an automatic scoring machine.

Then again, that is also MM's lack of SIQ (Scheming Intelligent Quotient). I think he listened to Ketchman too much - players not plays. I never understood how he did not get called out on that. Remember when Tramon got faked out of his shoes on the goal line touchdown to Diggs who was in motion left and then cut back to the right momentarily, then snap and he goes left. Whens the last time we saw a flea flicker? One of those RB's must be able to throw a decent pass every now and then. MM's game plan - run your route and AR will find the open man. So we always get - players just didn't get enough separation speech at the end of the game. That's worked pretty well for the last 4 years - NOT!

October 15, 2018 at 01:54 pm

"Packers seem to be getting exceptionally good at getting just over the hill and washed out free agents."

The guy is 26 years old...

pacman's picture

October 15, 2018 at 02:03 pm

He is in the 'washed up' category - ie. "injured enough so that nobody else signed him for above the veteran minimum". I'll be happy if he works out and it would be a huge bargain. But why didn't the Panthers renegotiate the deal?

Fire_Gute's picture

October 15, 2018 at 02:17 pm

Not everyone was excited about the jimmy Graham signing. I sure wasn't. I didn't like it at all then and somehow I like it even less now

Lare's picture

October 15, 2018 at 02:47 pm

Probably worth taking a flyer on him to see what he had left in the tank. Not looking good so far but we'll see. If Graham fails to produce the Packers can cut him after the season save $5.3M in cap space.

Would like to see them give Tonyan a chance though.

TarynsEyes's picture

October 15, 2018 at 03:03 pm

Gute...call Pitt and see what the'll take for TE MacDonald...Grahman,Lewis,Kendricks plus a draft pick, ...Mac and Tonyan would be far,far better than any combo we have on the field.

Pierre's picture

October 15, 2018 at 07:11 pm

Absolutely. Give Tonyan some targets at TE.

Since'61's picture

October 15, 2018 at 01:51 pm

As much as I would like to see Breeland play, I wouldn't use him until after the bye. Hamstring injuries are always tricky and if he is not at 100% I would give him the next 2 weeks to get to 100% solidly.

We are more likely to need his experience when we face the Rams, Pats, Seachickens, Viqueens and Falcons.
If he is reinsured tonite because he is not quite ready then he could miss another 4-6 weeks.

If he is 100% great, let him play, but since he is listed as questionable then I doubt if he is 100% unless MM is doing his gamesmanship thing. Thanks, Since '61

Jonathan Spader's picture

October 15, 2018 at 02:50 pm

Since 61' I'd like to see Breeland shake some rust off against SF. He doesn't have to play the whole game. Just get him out there for a little bit and see what you have.

cheesehead1's picture

October 15, 2018 at 03:07 pm

Agree Jonathan, let’s see what he’s got. Hopefully King can play a full game for once. Very concerning with all his injuries.

October 15, 2018 at 03:20 pm

I'm against Breeland playing unless needed. I want are Rookies and King in. This is the perfect game to give them confidence. See what they got. The road to their future should start Now. The more you wait; the excuses will never stop. I look at how many CBs drafted last year are starting. We need them. Play Them!

Doug Niemczynski's picture