Mike McCarthy "excited" to watch the tape on Packers QB Taysom Hill

Buckle up, there's about to be a quarterback controversy in Green Bay.

Aaron Rodgers is probably not going to lose his starting job anytime soon, however, there's a dark horse in the Packers' quarterback carousel that may emerge in the next few months.

A former Cougar at Brigham Young University that found his way onto the team's 90-man roster during last week's post-draft undrafted free agent round-up may be that dark horse.

Taysom Hill, a former multi-sport athlete in high school is on the fringes of the Packers' roster, but after two practices with the rookies, he's impressed mightily in the eyes of Mike McCarthy.

"He belongs," the head coach of the Green Bay Packers said on Saturday after the team's second practice since first stepping on the field on Friday. "As Ted (Thompson) and I were talking today, when you have 90 spots you wish you had 95, and I'm sure when you're at 95, you wish you had 100.

"We have some decisions to make. We've been very impressed with a number of young men."

Hill was a standout in high school, even more so during his senior year. He earned the All-Idaho Player of the Year award as well as Gatorade High School Player of the Year honors.

He was also a First Team All-State selection and All-Conference Player of the Year. At Highland High School in Pocatello, Idaho, Hill holds the single-season and career records for total offense.

Hill's good fortune didn't follow him into college, however. He suffered a season-ending injury four of his five years at BYU, never being able to fully rekindle the success he had during his younger years.

At the collegiate level, Hill never played a full 14-game season, but 13 games instead, throwing for 19 touchdowns to 14 interceptions, 2,938 yards and completing 53.9 percent of his passes. On the flipside, those numbers from his 2013 season are complemented with 1,344 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns.

Being such a mobile threat likely makes Hill far more susceptible to injury than most quarterbacks who do their work from the pocket. Could it be that Hill could thrive at another position?

At 6'2" with a 230-pound build, Hill sports 4.46 speed and a 38.5-inch vertical. On paper, he has the makings of someone who can transition to a big-bodied wide receiver or another position that fairly suits him. Especially when the chances of him tagging onto the Packers' roster as a fourth quarterback are slim to none.

Behind Rodgers, the situation at quarterback is hairy, but not woeful. Brett Hundley, who was the subject of trade talks during the draft likely isn't going anywhere barring anything crazy. Joe Callahan is the third-string quarterback who owns the gig ahead of Hill.

If Hill is lucky, he'd follow in Callahan's footsteps. Callahan's 2016 season saw him going from a pre-season wonder to a stint with the Saints and Browns over the course of a month, only to wind up back in Green Bay come December.

"The tape yesterday was really good, and I'm excited to watch it again today," McCarthy said. He cited Hill as one of the two players who progressed substantially from day one to day two with a jump that was as good as he can remember.

The Packers won't carry four quarterbacks into the regular season, and they might not even carry three with Callahan tagging along. Here in the early stages of May, the future is hazy. Hill's improvement could make him a strong practice squad candidate, but it's very likely not much else.

__________________________

Zachary Jacobson is a staff writer/reporter for Cheesehead TV. He's the voice of The Leap on iTunes and can be heard on The Scoop KLGR 1490 AM every Saturday morning. He's also a contributor on the Pack-A-Day Podcast. He can be found on Twitter via @ZachAJacobson or contacted through email at [email protected].

Handsback's picture

May 06, 2017 at 05:12 pm

Lots of talk about a QB, makes me wonder if MM is setting a team up to grab one of their QBs.

Dzehren's picture

May 06, 2017 at 05:37 pm

I agree. Huntley could probably start on 5 or 6 NFL teams at the moment ((Cleveland, Jets, Buffalo, Denver, San Fran to name a few) Show case him in pre-season and trade him next year (we need a backup right?)

Bert's picture

May 06, 2017 at 05:49 pm

I'm not sure about Hill as a QB. Saw him a few times at BYU and he strikes me as more of an athlete than a QB. Kind of a poor-mans Tebow actually. Not sure if he has the ability to avoid injuries at another position either. Rooting for him though. Good guy with lots of athletic ability.

Spock's picture

May 06, 2017 at 08:06 pm

"quarterback controversy in Green Bay." LOL. Thanks Zach; I needed that laugh. Ready to: ice my bad knee (8 surgeries, no kneecap), put ice on my bad shoulder (not quite bad enough for surgery), and a heating pad on my back (the doc's tell me mine has enough arthritis and disc degeneration to be that of an 100 year old). I needed a laugh!! Thanks for that! I'm Glad I can still laugh about this stuff. I have to think me with all the ice packs and heating pad on at the same time makes me about as viable a replacement for AROD as this guy! :)

Spock's picture

May 06, 2017 at 08:18 pm

Zach, sorry about the post. Just took some pain meds and realized my post was all about myself. Been a bad day, sorry.

May 06, 2017 at 08:11 pm

A-Rod probably isn't going to lose his job yet. But A-Rods contract is going to be a deciding factor soon. If A-Rod gets hurt, or cannot get this team to the playoffs. I believe A-Rod will not be in green Bay.

Somedumbname's picture

May 06, 2017 at 08:43 pm

Not a chance. Rodgers is playing at his peak. Rodgers is here to stay as long as his body holds up. I believe that will be another 5 years or so.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

May 06, 2017 at 08:34 pm

Completion percentage almost never goes up from College to the pros. But with those measurements I kind of want to know if he can tackle.

MarkinMadison's picture

May 07, 2017 at 08:51 am

If he hadn't had so many injuries I'd say put him at RB and let him go.

May 07, 2017 at 09:18 am

I would've said FB, but they've already got 2...

Somedumbname's picture

May 06, 2017 at 10:42 pm

I like the "quarterback controversy" over being the third rank quarterback in Green Bay. I liked what I saw from Callahan in preseason. You can't argue over Hill's athletic abilities. I would be happy with either one on the practice squad.

Snake Plissken's picture

May 06, 2017 at 11:24 pm

19 Td's, 14 picks with a 53.9% completion % in college ball and you think the kid is a QB? Please.
The kid is an athlete, but a pro QB he ain't.

PackEyedOptimist's picture

May 07, 2017 at 06:58 am

I think the reason the Packers picked Hill up, AND are trying him at QB, is that they believe in the coaches' ability to take that raw material and turn it into a viable QB. Hill has as much raw ability as any QB ever, but with his injuries, he's never been able to develop his techniques.
Huntley has absolutely shown that he can be a good NFL QB--I'm surprised a trade didn't work out, I kind of think that TT was almost counting on one. Callahan is a solid back-up; they'd want a third QB for camp and for the practice squad--enter the incredibly gifted athlete Taysom Hill.
If Hill takes to the training--as MM has already implied--this is a huge success. Zero risk and high-as-the-sky potential reward.

abad467's picture

May 07, 2017 at 09:09 am

4.46?! Put him at cornerback

snowdog's picture

May 07, 2017 at 12:44 pm

Bingo ! abad467.I believe the pack had another purpose for him when drafted.Certainly they don't take the beating another position will.

sonomaca's picture

May 07, 2017 at 09:16 am

Interesting that they seem to be giving him a shot at QB. However, if he could become a Pryor mini-me that would be something.

May 07, 2017 at 09:20 am

I think we all know that he's got about zero shot of making this roster at any position, and it's likely that the odds are against him even making the PS even as a position change prospect.

sonomaca's picture

May 07, 2017 at 01:02 pm

Well, in that case he should just go home and have a good cry. After all, dobber said he has no chance.

May 07, 2017 at 01:33 pm