Packers' DL Montravius Adams off to fast -- and healthy -- start in camp

-- A strong defensive line could get even stronger in Green Bay this year with a second-year jump from a not-so-talked-about player.

Montravius Adams, a third-round pick by the Packers in last year's draft, is in the middle of what he -- and everyone else -- is hoping to be a full and healthy training camp.

Adams made it through the offseason program and minicamp in 2017, however, suffered a foot stress fractured on just the second day of training camp that later required surgery.

He may have missed the entire preseason, but in year two, he'll have a chance to redeem himself and show that he can be more than just a bottom-of-the-barrel depth piece for the Packers' defensive line.

"Really, I just want to be able to get on the field and play and just be healthy," Adams told Michael Cohen of The Athletic on Saturday. "Last year was a big letdown for me as a person. I mean, not only do I feel like I let down my team but just myself. That's what really hurt me."

In the Packers' first padded practice of the summer, Adams won three consecutive one-on-one drills, piecing together what may have been his most impressive practice to date.

"Now I'm back. I feel great. I feel like any time the coaches put me in a position, I feel like I can do what I need to do."

New defensive coordinator Mike Pettine specializes in filling the defensive line with big bodies, utilizing heavy-set players to either clog running lanes or generate enough pass rush to push the opposing offensive line backward. Adams, 6-4, 304 pounds, is nothing short of expectations.

The Packers already have Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, Muhammad Wilkerson and Dean Lowry as their projected front-four, but there's no doubt that Adams could find a way to earn himself some snaps with a solid camp and an even better preseason.

"He’s hungry," Daniels said after Saturday's practice. "That’s what you want out of all of your teammates. You want guys that will come in there and compete.

"Being an older guy in the same room as them, you want younger guys to push you with the way that they practice, perform and compete, and I think he’s been bringing that edge and he’s only going to get better. I’m really excited to watch him grow, and you can see him grow each and every day."

The Packers also drafted defensive end James Looney with one of their seventh-round picks in April and signed defensive tackle Joey Mbu in June, so there's far from a shortage of depth anywhere along the defensive front.

Only four practices are under the Packers' belts, so up to this point, any positive news leak should be taken with a grain of salt. But winning one-on-ones and exhibiting speed off the ball in team drills is a promising sign -- potentially of things to come -- for someone with as much to prove as Adams.

"The benefit from being here throughout the season and the offseason, I think he's in much better shape," Coach Mike McCarthy said Monday. "I thought he did some really good things in the first day of pads, but collectively as a football team, we've got a long ways to go.

"He's more comfortable with what we're asking him to do, so I think he's off to a good start."

__________________________

Zachary Jacobson is a staff writer/reporter for Cheesehead TV. He's the voice of The Leap on iTunes and can be heard on The Scoop KLGR 1490 AM every Saturday morning. He's also a contributor on the Pack-A-Day Podcast. He can be found on Twitter via @ZachAJacobson or contacted through email at [email protected].

Handsback's picture

July 31, 2018 at 02:43 pm

Mt. Adams can be a real difference maker. Maybe Wilk Jr. is what I'm hoping.

Ferrari Driver's picture

August 01, 2018 at 09:20 am

And the point of you repeatedly posting that comment on a football forum is...?

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

August 01, 2018 at 05:19 am

I've always had high hopes on Adams. Never knew a lot about him other than some articles and so on but there was always this hopeful feeling. When I kept reading comments this past year about Adams most were not overly positive and in a weird way I just had this intuition he was going to be a pretty good player. Hopefully he continues to improve and make an impact as the Packers need a good young drafted DL.

GBPDAN1's picture

July 31, 2018 at 02:56 pm

This is great news. Adam's contributing to our D front would be very beneficial. A fresh powerful D front in the 4th quarters could be the difference between a possible victory or a loss.

Speaking of camp news, I haven't heard any news about Mo Wilkinson? Has anyone ? Really hoping that he'll be a difference makers.

Oppy's picture

July 31, 2018 at 06:36 pm

Haven't heard anything about Mo Wilkinson.
Side note, Adams' real factor is his quickness and speed for his size, moreso than his strength. He's definitely interesting!

Christopher Gennaro's picture

July 31, 2018 at 07:17 pm

For me the speed for size is what makes me excited, with double teams Diesel and Wilkerson may command, this man may be in the back field alot!!!!!

Oppy's picture

August 01, 2018 at 01:42 am

I'm betting Kenny Clark is the guy who will be absorbing double teams like no tomorrow. That young man is beastly.

August 02, 2018 at 03:33 am

I have not read a single tweet about Daniels (other than his injury). Nothing on Wilkerson either.

I've read one tweet by Andy Herman where he listed the results of the one on ones. Andy noted that Clark beat Linsley, Lowry beat an OL, I think it was Lucas Patrick, and Looney easily beat Amichia in 1 on 1s. Mbu got mentioned, but I don't remember if he won or lost. In another tweet, M. Adams went 3-0 in one on ones, but it was against "lesser competition" whatever that means.

OL and DL kind of need pads to get a feel for how they are doing. GB so far has had two padded practices.

August 01, 2018 at 09:02 am

Ask and ye shall receive: there's a short piece on Wilkinson on JSOnline this morning.

Going back to Adams: he might not need to be a difference maker this season (don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to emerge that way), but his development is key to 2019. I just don't see them bringing Wilkinson back...either he'll play well and command a big contract (and supply a nice comp pick) that the Packers should think twice about paying given how he responded to a big contract in NY, or he'll be pedestrian and easily replaced by a younger, cheaper player (enter Adams).

Adams playing well enough to walk into Wilkinson's spot (or some similar role) means a lot to the Packers' growth on D and their cap health for the next couple years. It means they won't need to invest an early pick on the DL if they don't want to next spring. It means they won't have to schlep out big bucks for additional FA help on the line if they don't want to. I would argue that Adams development means as much if not more to this Packers team as any other second-year player...and that includes Kevin King.

Tundraboy's picture

August 01, 2018 at 10:00 am

I agree Dobber. Superb work on your part

Tundraboy's picture

August 01, 2018 at 10:01 am

GBPDAN1, I think you made an excellent point.Your comment brought to mind all the many situations in past seasons, where after even a surprisingly strong effort ,we did wear down. Then left with little depth and far less talented players to keep the game in hand. Retreads,udfas, most apparently incapable of grasping an overly complicated system,or weren't given enough time to grasp it and for whatever reason weren't ready or trusted. IMO we also didn't have the most rousing leader either. So I'm pretty sure everybody knows, I've never ever been a fan of not having a defensive coordinator on the sidelines. Now perhaps with Pettine, a better approach, better coaching and simpler system,and actually having younger solid lineman,and elsewhere, things are going to be very different altogether for us this year. I am far more confident that the past is behind us.No more NFCCG meltdowns! Go Pack Go

Spock's picture

August 01, 2018 at 06:12 pm

Everyone assumes that Pettine will coach from the sideline but I read awhile back he hadn't made up his mind whether to coach from there or the box. As fans I think we'd all prefer the more 'personal' sideline touch but we will have to wait and see.

Archie's picture

July 31, 2018 at 05:26 pm

I've been high on this guy since we drafted him. Glad to see he is beginning to fulfill his potential.

July 31, 2018 at 08:40 pm

Going 3-0 in one on one drills is encouraging, though the beat writer tweeted that Adams beat lesser offensive linemen without specifying who they were.

Still, when we drafted M. Adams, I thought he was a bit of a headcase but had too much talent to pass up. Should be a good battle between Adams and Lowry for snaps, which might be scarce if the big three stay healthy.

Minniman's picture

August 01, 2018 at 04:37 am

TGR - Zach had me at " 6-4, 304 pounds"!

Sorry, I've been hibernating subsistence-style all July on 150lb tour-de-france cyclists and world cup footballers......... especially the blighters feigning injuries (cue in Terry Tate anyone???)

FOOTBALL TIME - "WHERE'S THE BEEF"!!!!!!!!!!

I want to hear "damnation WITHOUT relief" ....... where the groans of the O are INVOLUNTARY and as a result of impact pain!!

Seriously though, I went back and re-read The-Other-Big M's scout report and it did say that he would thrive in a 4 man front. I haven't read anywhere else where its stated if the D are forming 3-4 or 4-3.

Any input from the brethren??

Handsback's picture

August 01, 2018 at 07:35 am

Been missing you Minniman, esp. your humor.

Minniman's picture

August 01, 2018 at 05:38 pm

thanks, but please don't encourage me..... I'll only disappoint. ;)

Dobber and Oppy get my vote as the forum wits though

Ferrari Driver's picture

August 01, 2018 at 09:27 am

I like the idea of rotating DL to minimize the 4th quarter drop off. At this point it looks like we have enough guys to do that and still maintain the good defensive line play throughout the game.

Minniman's picture

August 01, 2018 at 05:44 pm

me too.

I got the impression in recent times that this drop-off between starters and rotation players was the point that opposing teams started to game-plan for........ hardly a revelation, I'll confess..... but as an observing fan this was the time in the game when those momentum changing plays seemed like they were going to happen.

4thand1's picture

July 31, 2018 at 09:30 pm

You can never have to many good big guys. Looks like we my have another good one on the d line.

croatpackfan's picture

August 01, 2018 at 02:37 am

I know that M. Adams was forgotten guy here. But I remember what RJF said last year in the TC about M. Adams! He said that Adams will be monster and that he have so quick first move that OL guys have no chance against him!

I tend to believe RJF more compared to opinions of experts here...

Minniman's picture

August 01, 2018 at 04:44 am

harsh one croat!

Regarding posters:

I would say that the MAJORITY are passionate.
MOST are opinionated.
SOME are qualified.

...........But ALL are equally entitled to their say.

croatpackfan's picture

August 01, 2018 at 06:23 am

I did say nothing on posting opinions and views, I have a lot against declarations and requests!

Of course that here some of the posters are very qualified. I enjoy reading their posts, but not always agreeing. That is my right.

I'm passionate, but that does not mean I have tight to spit or decry or insult on every possible occasion. I respect all, but I will tell truthfully what I think about negative behavior.

Also, I believe when you talk harsh about somebody else, you can endure harsh post on you (not you, minniman). I know I can.

And, yes, I agree we are all entitled to say our opinions, views, conclusions, but to be entitled to request, demand and declare something about somebody, we should be informed much better than many of us are.

Also, we are entitled to change our opinion, view conclusions, but it is not nice to present that changed view, conclusion, opinion as it was always there... That is lying and that is not nice...

Minniman's picture

August 01, 2018 at 05:34 pm

fair call croat.

I probably should have added that when exercising freedom of speech that sublime, outrageous or trolling comments will be duly dealt with!

BTW I generally do find your posts considered and insightful (and probably why this one stuck out to me and I misinterpreted your intent). That one and link a couple of months ago re an elite D front D helping the secondary on many levels was one that resonated.

NoNonsense's picture

August 01, 2018 at 11:25 pm

Here's some video of Mt. Adams in those 1 on 1s, some nice commentary in there also.

You know if hes impressing and motivating Mike Daniels these aren't just fluke wins against inferior competition.

The man has rare speed and burst for a guy his size. If he can learn the finer points of pass rush from his DLine comrades and really learn how to use his hands, he will be a force in the near future.

If nothing else, those wins should earn him a chance to go against the starters in the next 1 on 1s. Let him play against the best because that will only make him better. Iron sharpens iron.