Packers Profile: Cole Madison

A profile of Packers 2018 draft pick Cole Madison.

The Tape

• Position: Guard
  • Age: 23
  • Height: 6’ 5”
  • Weight: 308 pounds
  • 40-yard Dash: 5.33 seconds
  • Vertical Jump: 28.5”
  • Broad Jump: 8’ 1”
  • Bench Press: 26 reps at 225 pounds

The Roots

Cole Madison’s journey to the NFL began at Kennedy High School in Burien, Washington, just outside of Seattle.  During his prep career, Madison was a four-year letter winner in both football and basketball.  Sitting on a large framed body, Madison excelled both on the court and the gridiron.  During his career on the high school football field, he played a variety of positions including tight end, offensive tackle and defensive tackle.

Coming out of high school, Madison was considered a three-star recruit at the tight end position and had interest from the college programs at Oregon, Nebraska, Northern Colorado and Idaho.  Without much hesitation though, he opted to attend Washington State University and play with the Cougars and head coach Mike Leach.

After redshirting his freshman year, Madison was convinced to make the switch to the offensive line to see the field sooner as a redshirt freshman and this move paid off for him.  During his redshirt freshman year, he would start eight games.  In the three seasons following that year, Madison would become the iron man of the Cougars program by starting 39 consecutive games at tackle to end his career as a Cougar.

After a solid career on the offensive line at Washington State where he received All-PAC 12 honors and All-America Second Team honors, Madison entered the NFL Draft after his senior year.  After only one brief conversation with the team at the NFL Combine, the Packers selected Madison in the fifth round of the draft with the 138th overall selection.

The Future

Madison will come to training camp this summer with the Packers to join an offensive line that will have a spot or two up for grabs.  He has spent his football career thus far on the exterior of the offensive line at tackle and tight end, but most have projected Madison to be more of a guard at the NFL level.  From his scouting reports, Madison brings an excellent athletic ability with great footwork and use of his hands in the pass blocking game.  His scouted weaknesses were a lack of run blocking through his college career and having arms that are too short to potentially excel at the tackle position in the NFL.

While some of the tangibles may not add up to future success in the minds of some of the experts for Madison at the NFL level, his attitude and intangibles sure seem to be in the right place for him to succeed as a pro.  With the Cougars program, Madison was known as the tough guy of the group of offensive linemen.  He is quoted as saying that he is “that nasty offensive line guy who loves to win and hates to lose” and that he “plays nasty.”  I am a firm believer that success in the trenches in the NFL comes down to having a mean, take no prisoners attitude and Madison appears that he will bring that to the table.

On top of the attitude he will bring to the team, Madison will no doubt be a guy that the Packers faithful will latch on to.  The long hair, long beard and tattooed arms paired with his grit will earn the respect of both fans and teammates alike.  Another tidbit on the attitude of Madison is his lack of presence on social media outlets like Twitter and Instagram.  He’s an old-school guy and fans will latch on to that fact as well.  Last, Madison is a hunter that spent many fall off days during his college career heading to the woods in Washington to hunt deer, turkey and elk.  Having recently lost their cult hero outdoorsman to free agency, Madison could easily become a new fan favorite in Green Bay.

Prior to the draft, the offensive line battle this summer was sure to be a good one.  Now with the addition of Cole Madison, it will be one of the better position battles to keep an eye on during the 2018 training camp.

________________________

Ryan Brunner is an avid Packers fan hailing from Chippewa Falls, WI.  He is a firm believer that punters are NFL players too!  Follow him on Twitter @brunwardo

Lare's picture

May 04, 2018 at 01:51 pm

The Packers have generally been the exception to the rule of offensive linemen needing a year or so at the professional level to build up the strength to perform well. They've had several rookies come in and be effective in their first season.

I hope Madison or someone else steps up this season as a starter at RG & RT. Not only is it critical to the running game but we all saw what happens to the Packers season if/when Rodgers gets injured.

croatpackfan's picture

May 04, 2018 at 03:59 pm

In both cases when Aaron get injuries (broken bones!) there was no responsibility on O-line. In both cases Aaron moved out of pocket by his decision, not because he was pushed to... There is no O-line who can prevent what happened in both cases...

Mojo's picture

May 04, 2018 at 03:18 pm

This, to me, was one of the more important picks in the draft if he pans out.

I know he projects to inside, but what if Bakh gets hurt and Bulaga is still on the shelf ( if not cut altogether). I'm not counting on anything from Spriggs and Murphy hasn't had enough snaps to know if he's dependable (although I think he's going to surprise).

So who is going to fill in if Bakh or Bulaga's sub gets hurt? IIRC both McCray and Taylor played some tackle last year, but then you need to replace them.

That's why Madison (if he's any good) would be so important. He could be the swing-guy who replaces those interior lineman, or better yet, since he supposedly pass-blocks so well, put him at tackle. If he can't run block - so what, as long as he keeps ARod clean.

I think Jahri Evans was breaking down at the end of last year and both parties should move-on. What's the saying, "if you're thinking of retiring, you're already retired."

At a minimum Madison could supply much needed depth to a group that rarely plays a season intact.

MytQ's picture

May 04, 2018 at 05:08 pm

The description I heard for him is Tauscher 2.0. That would be awesome.

Cubbygold's picture

May 04, 2018 at 06:37 pm

If bakh gets injured, its gonna get ugly

Rossonero's picture

May 04, 2018 at 03:52 pm

Madison fits the mold: he played tackle in college like Josh Sitton and TJ Lang did, but the Packers still want the best athleticism possible, even at Guard.

Madison still has some work to do, but give him a year to get stronger and learn the playbook, I think he'll contribute more in 2019, but of course I hope we get to see him play and flash a little bit this season.

I remember TJ Lang being thrown into the fire vs. Minnesota in 2009 (his rookie year). He played well for a rookie. I was like "this Lang guy has serious potential." I hope to say the same about Cole Madison.

worztik's picture

May 04, 2018 at 05:42 pm

And now we have one!!! We’re gonna be cutting MANY MORE, in my mind, just to pay Rodgers!!! A trade off that may hurt us in the end but, I certainly hope not! How can a $150+ million dollar contract for one person be a positive? We are in “virgin” territory here and that’s RARE... VERY RARE!!!

Cubbygold's picture

May 04, 2018 at 06:38 pm

$150M is way too much to pay anyone...also, it has absolutely nothing to do with vogel

Lare's picture

May 04, 2018 at 07:14 pm

Paying one player over 13% of your salary cap pretty much guarantees you won't win a Super Bowl. No NFL team ever has.

The TKstinator's picture

May 04, 2018 at 11:59 pm

It would not be too much to pay any of us!

Wiscokid's picture

May 04, 2018 at 08:33 pm

How can you be from Wisconsin and not like guy named Madison?

MITM's picture

May 05, 2018 at 04:26 am

Vogel asked for his release apparently and was granter it. Figured he would catch on somewhere where he wouldnt be in a competition, or at least perhaps in an easier competition. I was unaware Vogel was a Pro Bowl alternate last season and set a franchise record for punting (i forget which stat it was.) He will sign on somewhere immediately.

I like Cole. I also liked how McCray stepped in and played for us as well last season. With Murphy as well I like the depth there. I dont like Spriggs but hes an extra body at least, albeit a waste of a 2nd round pick but I digress.

AgrippaLII's picture

May 05, 2018 at 05:26 am

Should've drafted a guy who projects as a Tackle not a Guard. RT is going to come back and bite the Packers before the season is over.

MITM's picture

May 05, 2018 at 08:24 am

McCray held up pretty well at Right Tackle. I like Murphy there as well. Absolute worst case scenario Spriggs (provided he comes into the season built like an actual OT and not a TE) SHOULD be able to provide SOMETHING there as well. ( I wouldnt dislike Spriggs as much if we didnt not only waste a 2nd rounder, but we traded up to boot - which isn't his fault I know.)

May 05, 2018 at 12:34 pm

I don't agree. I'd hate to have to count on McCray to start the first 6 games or more at RT. We need to get Bulaga back or for Murphy/Spriggs to step up this year. We are talking going from Lang/Bulaga to McCray/Murphy. That sounds ugly to me, but we can hope one of these OL can step it up. Taking an OT would have made a lot of sense - I thought we were trading up into the third to take Joseph Noteboom, but he went one pick earlier and we took Burks, who I also really like. Just too many holes for one draft.

MITM's picture

May 05, 2018 at 06:10 pm

No yea i didnt mean McCray would be my first choice I just meant we've seen way worse during the Rodgers era (Newhouse) but we at least know he can play. I like Murphy over him unfortunately he got hurt along with the rest of them last year. I hate Spriggs, I like McCray over him. I dont want Spriggs to do bad obviously but I mean the guy comes in as an extra blocker and sabotages the play. Thats pretty awful

Its funny you mentioned Notebloom, I was never able to snag him in my Fanspeak mock draft simulator when I was drafting for the Packers. I liked him alot

Lare's picture

May 05, 2018 at 06:41 pm

Hopefully, the Packers know what they're doing. Instead of punters, long snappers and multiple WR's I'd have liked to see them do more during the offseason and draft to improve the offensive line.

Unless Kizer makes a dramatic turnaround, this is a 5-11 team if Rodgers gets injured again.

AgrippaLII's picture

May 06, 2018 at 01:04 am

OT Noteboom went to the Rams at #89...right after the Packers took Burks with #88 pick.

May 05, 2018 at 12:24 pm

There are a lot more bad scenarios on the right side of the line than there are good ones. Don't be surprised if someone is signed to compete for a starting job in the next couple weeks as more vets are given their walking papers.

Cartwright's picture

May 05, 2018 at 09:38 am

Maybe some of that grit and nasty Madison's got will light a fire under Spriggs behind and inspire him to play much better than he has knowing his replacement is right over his left shoulder. Like the pick, his attitude alone will be welcome in what was, especially on the right side, an offensive, offensive line.

The TKstinator's picture

May 08, 2018 at 09:08 pm

I am offended by your offensive remarks.

Johnblood27's picture

May 05, 2018 at 10:26 am

Go Cougs!
Go Madison!

Im all in with this guy.