Packers Question of the day - Takeaways from the win

The Packers toppled the Vikings in Green Bay, preventing a potential season sweep for Minnesota.

It was strictly on the Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson connection, connecting for two touchdowns of Rodgers' four through the air, not counting the one Rodgers scored with his legs.

What were your biggest takeaways from the 38-25 win?

__________________________

Zachary Jacobson is a staff writer/reporter for Cheesehead TV. He's the voice of The Leap on iTunes and can be heard on The Scoop KLGR 1490 AM every Saturday morning. He's also a contributor on the Pack-A-Day Podcast. He can be found on Twitter via @ZachAJacobson or contacted through email at [email protected].

jeremyjjbrown's picture

December 26, 2016 at 09:12 am

"preventing a potential season sweep for Minnesota."

That would have been a definitive season sweep right?

My question is the secondary, the CB play has been just awful. TT threw high picks at this position two seasons ago to try and prevent this situation. When Ladarus Gunter is your best corner you've got problems.

Big_Mel_75's picture

December 27, 2016 at 09:18 am

Problem is that he didn't use enough of them with Shields injury. The two were just replacements for what we lost.

daveh's picture

December 26, 2016 at 09:26 am

Jeremy, I agree 100%, that will be the Packers downfall

lambeauleap's picture

December 26, 2016 at 09:44 am

I think Aaron's hamstring/calf injury was a blessing in disguise. Forcing him to stay in the pocket and go through his progressions was something he was neglecting for so long but seems to have made all the difference. It's like he went back to trusting himself and his fundamentals. I felt like prior to the injury he was just "off". Something was different about his throws and his reads. I feel like now it's back where it was in 2014. THIS Rodgers can carry this team far.

The offense is back on track & much more like the offense I had come to expect from a Rodgers lead team. Running game is hit or miss but I think it's just decent enough to help. Teams have to at least consider it which helps tremendously. I wish they'd use Michael more. He's at least fast. I think he and Montgomery could be a good 1 2 punch with totally different running styles.

The biggest issue with the team remains the defense. Rollins and Randall are just too inconsistent. I feel like they are perhaps a little young/immature. They'll have a good game and then regress the following week. I don't know if it's an attitude/cocky thing or what but it's frustrating. Hyde seems too slow in reacting to the play. It's like he's a second late. Anyone can have a 300+ yard passing game against this secondary and that's problematic going into the post season.

I think we were ok against an overall pretty mediocre offense. I worry about an offense led by Matt Ryan or Tom Brady. I don't know how this secondary survives with a good QB and a good offense.

Right now I was happy to beat the Vikings and I look forward to reclaiming our division title Sunday night!!

December 26, 2016 at 09:53 am

"I think we were ok against an overall pretty mediocre offense."

Bad. The word you were looking for when describing the Minnesota offense is "bad".

" I worry about an offense led by Matt Ryan or Tom Brady."

Right now, I'm much more concerned about an offense led by Matt Stafford...

croatpackfan's picture

December 26, 2016 at 02:03 pm

Again, that secondary kept Viking on 38-13 till 9 minute left in the 4th Q.

Broncos secondary was one of the best. They allowed 242 yards to KC Chiefs in 1st Q yesterday!

I pick our D!

al bundy's picture

December 26, 2016 at 02:47 pm

No the bleesing was rhodes calling zone defense that Rogers loves to carve up. Had they listened to Zimmer this game may have been much different.
I dont know if they will get by the Lions or not due to the fact all the dbacks are now hurt. We are playing guys no one has ever heard of, that will do a long ways into the playoffs - not.
All I know is Rogers is avg when his guys are covered one on one. Drives him nuts, slows him down,causes lots of sacks.

zeke's picture

December 27, 2016 at 04:34 am

Tell us again about how the Vikings have a more talented roster top-to-bottom and how Spielman immediately identifies and addresses weaknesses on his team. I love that story. Enjoy another offseason of trying to figure out how your team managed to crap the bed at 5 - 0 and then spend the rest of the season rolling around in it. Again. Idiot.

scullyitsme's picture

December 26, 2016 at 09:44 am

Yes our DB's have not been good, but it's obvious that Randall had been playing hurt since the groin injury, and Rollins was hurt also. It's hard to cut and flip hips with that injury, makes for bad technique, an basically what we've been seeing on the field, I've had injuries similar and it doesn't just go away. These guys both have played some good football for the pack in the past with great potential, let's not forget that.

jeremyjjbrown's picture

December 26, 2016 at 04:44 pm

I hope that's it. I also think it's really hard for young players to miss extended playing time and be forced to jump right back into critical roles.

December 26, 2016 at 09:57 am

Takeaway: When it's on, this offense can play with anyone...especially at home.

Takeaway: This defense is going to need to win the TO battle on a weekly basis to give this team a chance to win.

Takeaway: Next Sunday evening's game is not going to be a gimme.

Takeaway: Right now, this Packers team looks an awful lot like the Washington Redskins team they bounced from the playoffs in 2015...

Since'61's picture

December 26, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Except Dobber - the Redskins do not have Aaron Rodgers. Thanks, Since '61

Since'61's picture

December 26, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Except Dobber - the Redskins do not have Aaron Rodgers. Thanks, Since '61

Amanofthenorth's picture

December 26, 2016 at 07:32 pm

worthy to be written twice

EdsLaces's picture

December 26, 2016 at 10:06 am

Basically same as everyone else for me. Against a solid passing game all we really have to hope for is 12 has the ball last down by 6 or less. Our defense won't be getting us into the playoffs or any w's if we make the playoffs imo.

jfajas's picture

December 26, 2016 at 10:24 am

My single takeaway is this: we need 2 new corners. In a game where our defensive front consistently pressured the opposing QB (a rarity in itself this year...), they where constantly out of position to make plays, because they are ditched by the opposing receiver from the release (or by the simplest double move). Basically they can't cover.

PortlandMark's picture

December 26, 2016 at 10:32 am

So if the score was 28-13 instead of 38-13 do all really think that the defense melts down? How did they hold Seattle, Texas and Philly to 13 points or less? The worst play was when Clinton-Dix ran into Rollins on the 71 yard TD pass. If Dix does a better job they likely tackle Thielen. The Vikings might not even have had one TD in the first half. IMO if everyone is healthy then they can get it done. If Mathews is out some other key players then they're in trouble. But the same can be said for the opposing teams.

NickPerry's picture

December 26, 2016 at 11:07 am

Do you mean Houston??

NickPerry's picture

December 26, 2016 at 11:05 am

It feels kinda like 2011 where the Offense is nearing that place where it feels they score against anybody anytime. At the same time it feels like a season where you just pray the Packers have the ball last or gain an extra possession during the game. I'm NOT saying it's at 2011's level, just that it's starting to feel like it again.

The Packers obviously felt Randall , Rollins, both would be able to step up and play solid defense, take the "2nd Year Jump". After all this was supposed to be the DEEPEST position other than WR on the roster this fall, one where many of us thought the Packers could make due if Shields missed his usual 4 games. Lots of injuries later it just hasn't happened but it doesn't mean it can't.

The Defense is creating takeaways and the Offense just doesn't give the ball away. Play tough against Detroit, take the ball away, and DON'T let Stafford have another 4th quarter comeback. Then Defense could gain a little more confidence heading into the playoffs where anything can happen. The Packers will live and die with Rodgers. If the Defense continues with the takeaways the Packers will continue to win.

Dzehren's picture

December 26, 2016 at 11:27 am

I would like to see more press coverage. Bump and run- disrupt timing and routes. It seems are CB's are leaving like a 10 yard cushion. Tramon, Woodson and Al Harris were in receivers faces.

If Matthews, Perry & Jayrone can heal up- we can get more pressure on the edge and help out the secondary.

Every team in the NFC has flaws.

Lphill's picture

December 26, 2016 at 11:48 am

Rollins and Randall have the skills but I believe they played more saftey in college, they appear to play off and not much bump and run at the line, maybe Joe Whit has to be looked at and also how about if TT drafts a pure corner in the next draft .my takeaways from the game is I'm worried about the pass defense like every other Packers fan.

packerbackerjim's picture

December 26, 2016 at 07:05 pm

I'm OK with drafting a tall, fast CB, but other positions (RB, TE) have priority and would like to see TT find a savvy vet ala Al Harris to hold down the position. Highly unlikely but nonetheless.....

December 27, 2016 at 12:29 am

Why would your priority be RB or TE? We are 5th in pts scored per game and 22nd in points allowed. It is clear to me where the infusion of talent is needed. There is even some reasonable chance that the offense will be better next year with the same players (Nelson fully recovered? Cobb healthier? MM realizing that Monty is a RB sooner?). Not sure I can say the same for the defense, though I suppose Randall and Rollins could get healthier, maybe a jump from a Brice or someone like that.

packerbackerjim's picture

December 27, 2016 at 05:26 am

RB because I am not comfortable relying on Ty alone. An injury or symptoms of Sickle Cell might recur, Michaels may regress to a TO nightmare. I hope not, but a guy like McCaffrey gives Rodgers an incredible weapon. Lacy and Starks Will not be back.

TE because R. Rodgers is a huge disappointment. Cook gets nicked up and that position takes a physical beating.

It's no coincidence the Year turned around when Ty unexpectedly emerged as a viable RB and Cook got healthy. It would be a terrible assumption to think these will not be positions of extreme need, IMHO.

barutanseijin's picture

December 27, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Counterpoint: TT just isn't that good at drafting for defense. He should play to his strength.

Since'61's picture

December 26, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Takeaways: Our offense can score on anyone. They have scored 38 points against both Seattle and the Viqueens, two of the best defenses in the league. Rodgers is playing lights out and brilliantly.
The problem is that we can't trust the defense to either maintain a lead or more importantly to hold the lead at the end of the game. Right now, if I am the Lions OC I would have Stafford pass on every down. Stafford is playing well and the Packers CBs can't cover anyone. Even a good pass rush will not get there on every play and when they don't we'll get beat in the secondary. Sure would be nice if Herb Adderly were 50 years younger, at least we wouldn't need to worry about one side of the field. Randall and Rollins, either get healthy or get better, preferably both, by Sunday night. Go Pack Go! Thanks, Since '61

vj_ostrowski's picture

December 26, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Bump and run isn't the obvious solution, or you'd see it on the field already. It's not like R&R are purposely playing off against their coaches wishes or anything.

The injuries have a lot to do with it, I'm sure. I think technique also probably has much to do with it. Their tech isn't likely up-to-snuff yet either.

I know we love pulling out Al Harris/Woodson/Tramon comps, but those guys were either better from the start or honed their craft over time. People forget that Tramon Williams was talked about the same way people are talking about Randall, in his early years.

Since'61's picture

December 26, 2016 at 02:37 pm

VJ - not exactly true. Tramon played excellently and was very highly regarded until he suffered the nerve injury to his shoulder. It took him about a season and a half to recover. When he did recover he played pretty well but he never returned to his 2010/2011 pre-injury level. If Randall, Rollins or both could play at Tramon's level from 2010 we'd be fine at CB. but they are quite a way from that level right now. We just need one decent game from them. Let's see if they deliver. Go Pack Go! Thanks, Since '61

barutanseijin's picture

December 27, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Woodson is a sure bet for the HoF. There's no one on the team now who comes close to his level. Maybe, just maybe, one of the current DBs reaches Al Harris/Tramon Williams level. Unfortunately, they're playing the games now. The Packers need an Al Harris or Tramon Williams in their prime and they don't have one.

croatpackfan's picture

December 26, 2016 at 02:09 pm

I will say only one thing. I rather have Packers team with Packers D than Broncos team with best D in today's NFL!
Last line!

Portland Mark and me have similar view of the game. Packers can win all, but they will not. Why? Because most of you do not believe in this team!

bears suck forever's picture

December 26, 2016 at 02:55 pm

I took away a pretty good buzz, another brat grease stain on my jersey and constipation from to much cheese and crackers. All in all a great day.

Chad Lundberg's picture

December 26, 2016 at 02:58 pm

McCarthy said this morning that damarious Randall is playing through an injury. Almost enough to have inactivated him for the game. Damarious can still turn things around.

Samson's picture

December 26, 2016 at 03:01 pm

Sunday Night's game is as big as they get. Win and the Pack are certainly in as North Division Champs. ---- However, if the Redskins beat the Giants at home next week, wildcard isn't a possibility if the Pack lose at Detroit on Sun. night.

In other words, pretty much a must win. ---- Number 4 seed or no seed at all.

Bedrock's picture

December 26, 2016 at 05:05 pm

The Shields loss had a ripple effect. That secondary is playing in positions for which they're not quite ready or healthy. Martinez being out didn't help either.
I tend to see the secondary playing better when Capers is forced to keep it simple. Is that much like Aaron playing more from the pocket? Perhaps the injuries and substitutions will force Capers to call a simpler secondary game. Players, not plays? Oh boy. We just need a few big plays next week.

bears suck forever's picture

December 26, 2016 at 06:25 pm

As srewy as it is we should cheer for Detoit tonight. If we where to loose on week 17 it would help us get a wild Card spot

Dzehren's picture

December 26, 2016 at 08:01 pm

Not much infor on how GB gets into the playoffs if we lose to DET (Not likely-will run the table).

Obviously Redskins- TAMPA Bay- Lions-
R in he mix. Lions vs Dallas probably holds many answers.

barutanseijin's picture

December 27, 2016 at 01:11 pm

If the Packers lose, the Deadskins also have to lose for the Pack to get in as the 6 seed. If Washington wins or ties & the Pack lose, Washington is the 6 seed.

Dzehren's picture

December 27, 2016 at 09:54 pm

Thanks man. Appreciate it. Go Pack & NY Giants in week 17!

Dzehren's picture