Preston Smith and Adrian Amos no-brainer extension candidates for Packers

Signing Preston Smith and Adrian Amos to extensions should be a priority for the Packers.

It’s salary cap shedding season in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

The Packers have begun making moves to get under the salary cap for 2022, kicking $23.2million worth of contracts down the road by restructuring the deals of Kenny Clark, Aaron Jones and David Bakhtiari.

These were straightforward and expected lever pulls for Executive Vice President/Director of Football Operations, Russ Ball, with Clark, Jones and Bakhtiari all key players whom the Packers hope to keep around for years to come.

Along with the slew of restructures which will undoubtedly continue to be filter through, Green Bay can of course use contract extensions to help eat into their salary cap deficit, while also securing the futures of vital players.

Preston Smith and Adrian Amos are two natural candidates for such a move.

This time last year, there were serious questions being asked as to whether Preston Smith would be on the Packers roster for the 2021 season, after a lacklustre 2020 campaign from the linebacker.

If you’d have told me then that by the end of the 2021 season, it would be a near certainty Preston would be back again for 2022 and beyond, and Za’Darius Smith would probably be cut, I wouldn’t have believed you.

But here we are.

Smith bounced back in style after a down year in 2020, tallying nine sacks and nine tackles for loss in his third regular season with the Packers.

The Mississippi State alum has now racked up 25 sacks across three regular seasons in Green Bay, and has also offered a consistent and solid presence as a run defender.

As the old saying goes: ‘Your best ability is availability’, and Preston has been as reliable as they come, only missing his first career game through injury this past season after a streak of 102 consecutive NFL appearances.

Of course, there is a huge component of luck involved when it comes to injuries, but numbers like those should make Brian Gutekunst and Ball feel better about handing a multi-year extension to a player who will turn 30 in November.

His strong relationship with Joe Barry is well documented, and Barry certainly seems to have helped Smith rediscover his best form.

Not to mention, the Packers project to be extremely thin at the outside linebacker spot if Za’Darius is indeed let go. Inking Preston to a long-term deal and keeping the veteran across from Rashan Gary should be a priority for Green Bay.

Adrian Amos is very much a similar case.

Like Smith, the safety joined the Packers in March of 2019 and then the following month, Green Bay drafted a player in the first round at his position.

Also like Smith, if not more so, Amos has been a picture of consistency and reliability during his three years with the team.

Amos has started every single game since he arrived in Green Bay, 49 in total.

While he has never had an insanely productive year in terms of box score stats (exactly two interceptions in each regular season), Amos has been the glue which has held the Packers defensive backfield together, especially after Jaire Alexander suffered an injury last season.

Darnell Savage’s career in green and gold has been up and down, and the Packers have not had an enticing option available to them when three safeties are needed on the field at the same time.

With this in mind, the steady presence of Amos has been absolutely crucial.

Age is more of a potential deterrent to a long extension with Amos, as he turns 29 in a little over two months and plays a position where mobility is more important than it is for someone like Preston Smith.

However, this is a risk the Packers ultimately have to take, and no one could fault them for trusting Amos to continue to be the same dependable guy he has been for the last three years.

-------------------------------------------------------

Mark Oldacres is a sports writer from Birmingham, England and a Green Bay Packers fan. You can follow him on twitter at @Marko7LW

beerandbrats's picture

February 27, 2022 at 12:43 pm

Both of these players provide availability and production. Availability is so important in today's game with all of the injuries. I believe every effort should be made to retain Smith and Amos.

Zapato's picture

February 27, 2022 at 01:34 pm

I'm going to take the unpopular route here and put in a pitch for extending Dean Lowry as well. You can say he's not a great D-lineman but he doesn't miss many games, has a lot of experience playing next to Kenny Clark and is an accomplished journeyman who isn't going to break the bank. I've seen him literally drive offensive linemen right into the quarterback's lap and provide that type of play when we needed it this past year. And drafting a lineman early isn't necessarily going to elevate your play at the position because it takes time for a defensive lineman to learn and adapt to play in the NFL. In Lowry, we know what we've got and the coaches and management seem to like him. I say keep him around until you find or develop someone better who can replace him.

ckoski's picture

February 27, 2022 at 01:45 pm

Agreed. If they are going to navigate the cap, they really need relief from every meaningful veteran contract on the books, including Lowry's. From a pure cap perspective, I think they have to either cut him or extend him, and cutting him would leave a d-line of Clark and whatever potential Slaton and Heflin bring, and nothing else. He's not an All-Pro, but he is a legit NFL lineman, and they need him.

jannes bjornson's picture

February 27, 2022 at 01:59 pm

He can be replaced by a rookie contract. Draft a D lineman with a high pick. Retain Anderson.

Coldworld's picture

February 27, 2022 at 02:38 pm

Anderson is a FA

February 27, 2022 at 02:08 pm

Game on. No injury settlements coming. So we're now getting down to Smiths., Amos, And Turner. Ok- Kick the can down the road. And when theres No light at the end of the tunnel. The Buck won't stop at the Top. The price of all gas, No Brakes, will define Gute's Future.

jhtobias's picture

February 27, 2022 at 03:38 pm

I see you on this site almost every post or comment is how horrible the packers management is whether it be cap, player development, or coaching , or quite frankly anything to do with the organization. Everyone is entitled to their own views.

What I never here from you is a solution a plan, just a bunch of complaints. So knowing the packers situation, please lay out your plan going forward in 2022 what you would do with the team ? It can be trades, cuts, etc. just have a plan not complaints. If you have no plan than well your views have no meaning to anyone.

Your up let's see what you can do .

February 27, 2022 at 09:28 pm

I'm up. - I believe in comp picks. 1. Keep Rodgers per "CONTRACT." 2. LET ADAMS GO to Carr. 3. I"M DONE WITH INJURED PLAYERS. Wasn't this Ted Thompson's Formula???? Now the Wolf theory. - Build the team at Tackle and CB. Build the DL with Experienced FAs. AND TRADE FOR A QB!( Kizer was a bad choice. ) The NFL solution- Speed and win with mis-matches. Love was a mistake. WIN the draft! Don't take what you can buy/keep/and Don't reach. (Discipline is the key to winning.}. The STs do not have it. Nor do they have a speedy PR/KR. Going Forward. 2022.= The can down the road stops! Honor the contracts and let them go Gold dig after this year. Why? Fiscal responsibility. Don't re-sign Tonyan. Cut Lewis. You franchise Rodgers until he's done! 2022.- Draft- Don't draft the OL. [ Draft 3 WRs w/speed. . 1 early. 3rd, 1 comp pick.] Draft a DL. ((KE KE replacement.) Draft NO LBs - Draft 2 CBs/s 4-5rd. Why CBs? = Sts. Draft 2 RBs?= STs. And what happen when Dillion went out? The faster the better!

NickPerry's picture

February 28, 2022 at 05:07 am

I actually agree with some of what you said SH, though I think the "Wolf Theory" regarding the QB couldn't be MORE wrong.

Wolf had ALWAYS felt Favre was the most talented QB in the 1991 draft and he was in Jerry Glanville's doghouse after the 1991 season. Glanville and th eFalcons were too stupid to know what they had and HOW to coach him up.

BUT..Ron Wolf DRAFTED a QB almost every season he was the GM. He traded for Favre, ONLY gave up a first rounder, and the rest is history.

I couldn't agree MORE, about drafting MULTIPLE WR's and adding speed to ST.

The Packers NEED both ILB and OLB no matter what they do with P Smith and even if they sign Campbell because they lack any depth.

Agreed...They NEED to draft a D-Lineman.

February 27, 2022 at 09:36 pm

I actually disagree. I think we do often offer solutions. By we, I mean authors and readers in the comments.

Give me the philosophy you want to employ and I can and will present options. If you want to keep AR and Adams, solving that puzzle means doing what the Packers are doing. If I point out that Bakh's contract is now ugly, that isn't criticizing (necessarily) as much as stating a fact: LTs who have $32M cap numbers are going to limit what else the team can do.

If you want to rebuild, I can identify which players can be traded or released and when, though I can't do more than guess as to what compensation the Packers might get, and that gets pretty subjective.

At draft time, CHTV puts out a draft guide. There will be plenty of articles on which players are good bets for the Packers, both in terms of just being good and fitting needs. We have draftniks who comment a lot. If I was screaming for the Packers to select Creed Humphrey last year, is that a criticism of their selection of Myers or my attempt to offer a solution to the hole at the center position? Just like when I was hoping to take Juan Thornhill but watched the Packers move up to take Darnell Savage, I didn't condemn that pick (or Myers) but rather turned my attention to looking more closely at the players GB actually took to see why and to figure the professionals probably know more. I screamed for Brian Burns when they took Rashan Gary, and I expressed my reaction of being dubious but hopeful. I wrote awful pick unless it works. Well, it worked: the guy loaded with talent but who had been something of an underachiever overcame a change of position to be a top 10 player at his position, probably better than that.

February 27, 2022 at 10:53 pm

I'll take the philosophy of TT and Wolf over Gutes. Adams is gone. Comp pick. Bahk is done. Trade him; get what you can. Get rid of his contract at all costs. He'll never make All-pro again. SO he won't be better then what we got! Tonyan, Lewis, Cobb, and St.Brown must not be resigned at any price. Lazard, and MVS if possible. Rodgers has a contract. I'm a NO trade - Franchise him after this year. And trade Love. Get rid of his contract. I'm not rebuilding. I'm cutting. The defense must re-work their contracts. Otherwise Campbell and Douglass must go.

February 28, 2022 at 02:50 am

Oh, I think I had a "whoosh" moment there! You were addressing a specific person rather than the readers and authors.

Never mind.

Johnblood27's picture

February 28, 2022 at 07:34 am

I will give you a Mulligan TGR!

HarryHodag's picture

February 27, 2022 at 04:48 pm

I like to remind fans about what both players did for the team after years of sub-par play in both the secondary and LB/Edge positions.

While the salary cap will go up in 2023 and 2024, the extensions should be such that the Packers can bail if they have to.

stanthemanwiththeplan's picture

February 27, 2022 at 05:32 pm

Amos is consistent whether it's his contract year or not so I agree with that extension but I'm not so sure about Smith who seems to be most productive in contract years. Maybe if he has less guaranteed and more performance based compensation it'll keep his motor running.

KnockTheSnotOutOfYou's picture

February 27, 2022 at 07:20 pm

Agreed, however why would he agree to do that when he is guaranteed to receive strong competition for his services from several teams?

February 27, 2022 at 09:44 pm

Yep, it takes two to agree. I can say that the Packers should demand a pay cut or use incentives, but the player can say no, and perhaps just one other team will meet the player's demands.

I've often wondered whether the Packers saved money when they reached extensions with their own players in the past. I used to think TT had a tendency to overpay. Then again, Nelson's, Bakh's (first one) and Adam's extensions turned out well. OTOH, there is Perry, and I thought CM3 got a pretty sweet contract, while on others I thought it was about right.

No point to doing it except in hindsight. And then it is too late.

Dragon5's picture

February 27, 2022 at 08:24 pm

Preston Smith has the highest injury risk of any Packer for the '22 season, particularly from November 17th on, when he enters his personal 7 (injury prone) year. If I'm Gute, I look for anything I can get from a prospective trade partner...dead cap hit is 7.25M https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/preston-smith-16762/

Rasual Douglas and Kevin King, if rostered, next highest injury risk.